I’ve had the early-spring (technically it’s not spring yet, but whatever…) urge to organize everything. Every. Thing. So I went on a mental shopping spree yesterday to buy organizational things for my imaginary office, because that’s what you do when you’re trying to pay off debt and have a savings, etc.
These are the items I put in my shopping carts before I deleted them.
1. Cutie file folder boxes. I’d stick with brown, I think. 2. Elegant file folders. Because if you can have a pretty folder over a plain folder, why on earth would you pick plain? 3. Retro pens because they match. 4. Jadeite Desk Set because it’s one of the colors I’m obsessing over now. and 5. The camera pencil sharpener because ARE YOU KIDDING ME with that cuteness? And the fact that Dave and I have started inadvertently collecting vintage cameras… and my current pencil sharpener is broken. If that wasn’t sold out, I would have actually purchased it maybe.
But since my shopping is imaginary anyway, I’m going to go ahead and put this on the list.
This weekend was exactly what I needed. I did a whole lot of this.
I met some new friends, did a little thrifting, a little clearance shopping (hello $6 jeans!), and a teeny bit of project accomplishing.
I’ve been itching to make one of these Food Passports since I first saw them over here, and this weekend I finally made it! I’m in love with it.
The amazing weather, the fun friends, the cheap shopping loot, and the minty green nail polish really made for a great weekend.
I have a friend that I meet with every week or so for mentoring. Last night we met for coffee and I tried to give her the recap on the past couple of weeks and ended up talking basically nonstop the entire hour and a half. Seriously. So much talking.
But it made me realize just how jam-packed my life has been lately. I’ve had time for nothing because I’m trying to make time for everything. Know what I mean? I’m sure you do, if you live in America. So this weekend, I had planned on painting the bedroom (and I may still) but what I really want to do is relax. I want to play outside, cook my own meals, take a nap or two, watch old movies on tv with my favorite quilt, and relax.
Because if it takes me an hour and a half to recap the past two weeks, that’s too much stuff.
If you don’t follow me (or design*sponge) on twitter and you’re not my facebook friend, you don’t know that yesterday afternoon, Grace of design*sponge retweeted a link to my blog to show the amazing headboard Mr. Hagen made for me for Valentine’s Day.
First of all – holy flippin’ smokes, that lady has got some pull. TEN TIMES my highest ever daily traffic came through the site yesterday. That is blowing my mind. Still. And secondly, that means that if any of you happened to stick around, you know nothing about me. So, because my mind is completely elsewhere this morning AND because you don’t me, I think a “my favorite things” post is fitting. If you visited because of Ms. Grace’s tweet, thanks for stopping by. If you visited because you know me and you like me, also thanks. I like you, too.
My current list of favorite things
nursery design. I’m not currently decorating a nursery, guys. So quit it with the assumptions. But it is perfect! That chevron light fixture is seriously a DIY waiting to happen. And that ottoman! For heaven’s sake.
3. This phone picture. Yesterday as Dave and I drove to dinner we could not stop talking about the sky. The WHOLE sky was impressive. Not just the sunset part. We tried to take panoramas on our phones because we’re Hagens and that’s what we do. This is the image I got.
4. Straw Heart Project love. I know, I know, I said that a couple days ago. But it’s STILL one of my favorite things. I’ve had several people offer to help on projects in the past couple days and that is huge! Without volunteers, this won’t really work. So if you’re thinking of volunteering to help with a project, let me know. I promise I won’t make you do something you really don’t want to do, like the “turn to your neighbor and tell them you’re thankful they’re here” part of church on Sunday that no one enjoys but we keep doing it anyway.
5. This Food Passport by the cool ladies over at Spotted Fox. It’s a little bit of an issue with me and my friends that we eat at the same 5 places over and over and over. When my parents come to town, I generally convince them to eat places, “because I really like it, but the HBC doesn’t really so we never get to go there.” (HBC is what we call our neighborhood… we realized a few months ago that we all think “C” stands for something else. I think it’s crew. Some say community. Whatever. To each his own, I suppose. We eat most meals together. Like… several a week.) So, I suggested to the matriarchs of the HBC that we make a food passport to encourage us to branch out.
6. This light fixture. What’s my deal with light fixtures today? I think this is totally DIYable too. Gorgeous.
7. Super amazing handmade watches that I posted about over on SimplyTooMuch. Go check them out. They will floor you.
What are some of YOUR favorite things lately?
I asked Dave to take a few pictures of the Valentine’s gift he made me “so I can show everyone how awesome you are” and he said, “right. Because THAT’S what your blog needs more of.”
So because it has been mentioned by several people that maybe I talk a bit too much about liking my husband (you’re welcome, Dave) and because he gets a little bit embarassed by that kind of thing, I’m going to keep this as non-flowery as I can.
I came home from work yesterday and Dave was almost finished building this.
Be still my heart. He had remembered this post and decided to get to work on the headboard while I was out. It was such a great surprise and the end result is beautiful. A perfect Valentine’s gift from my handsome Valentine. And that’s all I’m going to say. Even though I wanted to say more. See? That wasn’t too flowery?